Welcome to our site - Take Moment and Register to Begin Posting

Established May 1, 2003. Welcome to the Lubbock Racing Community. Be cool to one another.

Questions?Comments?Concerns? about Sponsoring....Contact Us!
Go Back   RaceLubbock - Lubbocks Premiere Race Site > General > Discussions

Old 12-21-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
MtyMous
I'm Flying

MtyMous will become famous soon enough
Default Remote Start

Anyone know if there's a reliable place in Lubbock to go to get a remote start installed on my 2005 Dodge Ram? I'm not looking to pay more than $150. I can get the unit up here (St. Louis) for $100 and $150 installed. If there's anyone on here from a Lubbock shop, or knows any Lubbock shops that can beat that, please let me know. If not, I'll just buy it up here and install it myself when I get home.

Thanks Guys
MtyMous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:20 AM   #2
LPMotorsport
Tacked Out In Top Gear

LPMotorsport
Member Photo Albums

does it have the large key with the unlock and lock buttons on the key or does it have a gray or black key with the keyfob seperate.....if its the big key with the buttons on it i promise you dont want to try that install yourself cuz it is a real pain in the ass.....dont skimp on the money here because if that install is not done buy a good shop and a good installer you are going to have alot of problems with it. if you dont wanna spend a little cash then just dont do it....it wont be worth it in the long run i promise.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:05 AM   #3
MtyMous
I'm Flying

Well I've installed a viper alarm system before, and the Mopar kit is really simple. You just splice 4 wires (and I'm pretty experienced with automotive wiring) so I don't think it'll be a big deal. The one I really want is the Mopar kit, but I talked to my guy up here and he said that I can get a viper system for $100 and $150 installed. I know the Viper system will be harder to install, that's why I really don't want to mess with it, but I figured I'd ask if anyone knew a place that was credible and could do it for that price. Otherwise I'll go with the Mopar setup.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:11 AM   #4
Kevin
The Chosen One

Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeKevin has a reputation beyond reputeKevin has a reputation beyond reputeKevin has a reputation beyond reputeKevin has a reputation beyond reputeKevin has a reputation beyond reputeKevin has a reputation beyond reputeKevin has a reputation beyond reputeKevin has a reputation beyond reputeKevin has a reputation beyond reputeKevin has a reputation beyond repute

An aftermarket remote start will not be only 4 wires. If you have never installed one before I would not recommend you trying by yourself. either have someone with experience help you or spend the money and have someone experienced do it... save yourself alot of time and frustration.
2003 Electron Blue Z06 (SOLD)
2001 WS-6 Trans Am: Heads/Cam/Nitrous (SOLD)
2003 ZX-6R 636cc (SOLD)
1998 Trans Am (SOLD)

www.texas-speed.com
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:15 AM   #5
MtyMous
I'm Flying

I've done a Viper alarm system before with a mercury switch on the hood (because it's an older truck and the pin-type wouldn't work), two knock sensors, and a door lock system all on a two-way system. I know that one was a pain in the butt but just because we wanted to put the whole system in and have the valet switch too. The Mopar system IS only 4 wires. I talked to the guy who installs them and he assured me that because it is a factory part, it is only those 4 wires. I know I am capable of doing both systems, but I REALLY don't want to hassle with another viper system. That's why I was asking about prices. Does anyone know what kind of prices I'd be looking at in the LBK area? Or at least have a competent shop that yall can refer me to?
Old 12-23-2007, 12:15 AM   #6
Kevin
The Chosen One

Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeKevin has a reputation beyond reputeKevin has a reputation beyond reputeKevin has a reputation beyond reputeKevin has a reputation beyond reputeKevin has a reputation beyond reputeKevin has a reputation beyond reputeKevin has a reputation beyond reputeKevin has a reputation beyond reputeKevin has a reputation beyond reputeKevin has a reputation beyond repute

It's going to be in the 100-150 range for labor most likely... you might be able to get cheaper at a custom shop... you will just have to call around and ask for prices... but they will most likely have to look at the remote start system before they can give you an accurate quote
2003 Electron Blue Z06 (SOLD)
2001 WS-6 Trans Am: Heads/Cam/Nitrous (SOLD)
2003 ZX-6R 636cc (SOLD)
1998 Trans Am (SOLD)

www.texas-speed.com
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:47 AM   #7
MtyMous
I'm Flying

Eh... I'll just install it myself then. I know I can do it myself. Thanks for the idea on prices.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:21 AM   #8
LPMotorsport
Tacked Out In Top Gear

LPMotorsport
Member Photo Albums

lol yes....but have you even given thought to what is envolved with bypassing the transponder? you need to wire up a bypass module, which that will cost about 50-100 bucks and if you havnt installed one before its not easy....its easy for me but i do this everyday. you are lucky if you have the older style key because its all positive polarity ign and acc....although you will have to wire relays for the 3rd ign and the 2nd and 3rd acc. and not to mention it uses a one-wire system for the doorlocks....lock is negative through an 820 ohm resistor and unlock is negative through a 330 ohm resistor you must wire relays for this and you need to reverse the polarity for the parking lights because they have to be negative through a 590 ohm resistor......so 6 relays plus a bypass module and a one-wire lock system.....if you understand everything i said and know how to wire that up just from reading that then you might have a shot at installing it yourself......if that all looks like a bunch of jibberish have a good shop do it.....the vehicle you installed the viper system on was older correct? if so that would be alot easier than something like an 05 dodge....i do remote starts and security systems all day long and out of all the vehicles i hate doing the 06+ dodges most the 02-05's arent as bad but they still take longer than most vehicles.....hope this helps

Last edited by LPMotorsport; 12-23-2007 at 02:23 AM. Reason: messed up
LPMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:31 AM   #9
oneBADDz
Unassassinated

oneBADDz is a glorious beacon of lightoneBADDz is a glorious beacon of lightoneBADDz is a glorious beacon of lightoneBADDz is a glorious beacon of lightoneBADDz is a glorious beacon of lightoneBADDz is a glorious beacon of light

LP motorsport is right about everything he is saying. Although It's easier if you have keyless entry and are just installing remote start. It's an 05, although the transponder system is optional in all likelihood it is a transponder, most that new have it standard unless the truck is a stripper with manual everything, casette player etc.

A good after market system will have all of the relays built into it now. You work at vision right? don't y'all use code alarm for almost everything? I bet you don't have to put in too many relays with the good code alarm systems They're nice enough to put the fuse switching option in most systems to switch between neg and pos polarity for different cars.

All that aside though, soudns like he has factory keyless entry and is adding factory remote start to it, that's a breeze on a lot of cars. Don't know how dodge goes about bypassing the transponder on those vehicles on their factory systems though.
oneBADDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:06 AM   #10
MtyMous
I'm Flying

yall are both very correct. Fortunately, my dad taught me cars from the time I was.. in the womb. haha. So I do understand the polarity issues and resistors (Which is what is gonna suck about installing my HID system that needs 4 new resistors to not trip the lamp out system on my truck). But BADDz is right. The kit comes with everything I need already wired up. I crack open the steering column, disconnect the ignition harness and plug it into the remote start module. Then reconnect the ignition harness from the other end of the remote start module. From the remote start module Run 1 wire to the parking lights(splice and tap). Run 1 wire to the Horn (splice and Tap) Run 1 wire to the coil pack (Splice and tap). Run a mercury switch to the hood of the truck. Install the antenna and I'm done. I know that you are trying to help out, and trust me.. yall have helped. I'll feel like an idiot if I get knee deep into this and have to call for help (which I don't anticipate) but if I do, I'll call on yall for sure (if that's ok ). Luckily the system I am buying is very friendly with my truck.